In the upcoming winter 2013 – 2014, I am arranging travels to Russia’s Siberian village of Oymyakon, the world’s coldest inhabited place. The road trip will be done with my constant partner, tour operator Nord Stream LLC (www.visityakutia.com). We charge for transport services only. This way we make the tour as cheap as possible.
Experience the extreme winter weather in Oymyakon, Yakutia, Russia’s Siberia!
Tour Duration: 6 days.
Group size: max. 5 PAX (tourists).
Route: Yakutsk – Khandyga – Oymyakon – Khandyga – Yakutsk.
Round travel distance: 2000 km (with all short rides within settlements)
The tour starts in Yakutsk.
If required, tour dates and itinerary might be customized.
OYMYAKON TRAVEL VIDEOS
Measuring temperature in Oymyakon, Yakutia, Russia’s Siberia.
This video was taken by German photographer Björn Steinz in Oymyakon in January 2010. In the video: Bolot Bochkarev, Ajar Varlamov and their Yakutsk-based friends.
The above video is the slideshow made out of photographs taken during the trip to Oymyakon. The music and song are performed by the Yakutian rock band “103″ in the Sakha language.
OYMYAKON TRAVEL PHOTOS
Oymyakon people and views:
The Road of Bones (Kolyma Highway). On the way to Oymyakon, Russia’s Siberia:
The above photographs were taken in January 2010 during the journey with friends of mine.
YAKUTSK – OYMYAKON TRAVEL ITINERARY
1 Day (Tue): Yakutsk – Khandyga.
Crossing on ice roads over rivers Lena and Aldan. Passing by villages of Churapcha and Ytyk Kyol. A stop for visiting the Sakha cultural musuem in Chorkeh.
Accommodation in a guest house in Khandyga.
2 Day (Wed): Khandyga – Razvilka – Kyubeme – Oymyakon.
This part is picturesque, as we are passing the Verkhoyansk mountain area. We start driving the infamous Road of Bones. Note: Khandyga is the official end of the Road of Bones constructed by Stalin’s gulag inmates.
Driving the part Khandyga – Rasvilka happens in the day light. Right after it, we go into the darkness. Meanwhile, the lag between Razvilka settlement – Kyubeme – Oymyakon is very awesome. We’ll catch this part in a day light on the way back.
Bring your brand sticker to attach it to the gas station in Kyubeme. Here you’ll a lot of already-attached expedition stickers.
Accommodation in a guest house in Oymyakon. We’ll stay in this guest house for the whole period of our visit to Oymyakon.
3 Day (Thu): Oymyakon.
Sightseeing. Sakha folk concert. The Pole of Cold Certificate awarding ceremony. Ice fishing.
4 Day (Fri): Oymyakon – Tomtor – Oymyakon.
Visiting Yakutian horse breeder’s farm, history museum, ice sculpture cave.
5 Day (Sat): Oymyakon – Uchugei – Oymyakon.
Visiting reindeer herder’s camp. Short reindeer sledding.
6 Day (Sun): Oymyakon – Khandyga – Yakutsk.
As promised, we’ll see the beauty of the nature on the way back. Right from Oymyakon till the settlement of Razvilka.
The journey from Oymyakon streight to Yakutsk will take approximately 16 hours. In case if travellers will need to have the easy journey, we can stay for night in Khandyga.
Let me know, if you need the customized Oymyakon tour.
- Take along warm Arctic-type outfits from brands such as The North Face, Canada Goose and similiar. While in Yakutsk, tourists will have time to do shopping, i.e. buying warm boots (valenki or fur boots), gloves/mitten, hat. Parkas and warm pants from the mentioned brads are very expensive in Yakutsk. For warm underwear, consider Termo (Sweden).
- Bring your own travel and medical insurance from the company that has the Russian partner.
Check also the post Warm Clothes to Buy in Yakutsk, Yakutia, Russia’s Siberia.
OYMYAKON TRAVEL DATES
3 – 8 December 2013;
10 -15 December 2013;
17 – 22 December 2013;
24 – 29 December 2013;
7 – 12 January 2014;
14 – 19 January 2014 (space available in the 2nd group) – Book it now via PayPal (8120 RUB)
21 – 26 January 2014;
28 January – 2 February 2014.
4 – 9 February 2014;
11 – 16 February 2014;
18 – 23 February 2014 (most requested) – Book it now via PayPal (8120 RUB)
25 February – 2 March 2014.
4 – 9 March 2014;
11 – 16 March 2014;
18 – 23 March 2014;
25 – 30 March 2014.
The coldest weather happens in Oymyakon from the midst of December till the midst of February. Lowest temperatures are below -45C -50C. At night, it’s possible to register -60C.
All Oymyakon winter travels start on Tuesday and ends on Sunday.
OYMYAKON TRAVEL COST
In a group of…
..5 PAX (per person): 27,067 RUB (933 USD** / 694 EUR**)
..4 PAX (per person): 33,833 RUB (1,167 USD** / 8,68 EUR**)
..3 PAX (per person): 45,111 RUB (1,556 USD** / 1,157 EUR**)
..2 PAX (per person): 67,667 RUB (2,333 USD** / 1,735 EUR**)
..1 PAX (per person): 135,333 RUB (4,667 USD** / 3,470 EUR**)
The tour is booked, when the deposit (30%) is fully paid.
Non-refundable deposit: 8120 RUB (280 USD**/ 208 EUR**)
**Fixed currency rates for bank transfers in USD & EUR: 1 USD = 29 RUB; 1 EUR = 39 EUR.
Payment via PayPal is done in RUB.
Surprised, why the price is so low? We decided to charge for transportation service only. It includes all transport-related expenses (car lease, driver’s fee, fuel, driver’s food & accommodation) plus our company’s travel arrangement fees. So, to be more precise, check the bullet list of what included and not.
- Transport service (Toyota van or Russian UAZ van) for the whole period of the Oymyakon travel.
- Booking hotel in Yakutsk, guest houses in Khandyga and Oymyakon.
- The travel company’s travel arrangment fee.
Does NOT include:
- Accommodation in Yakutsk (3000-6000 RUB/day), Khandyga (1000 RUB/person; no breakfast) and in Oymyakon (2000 RUB/person w/ full meal);
- English-, German- and French speaking guide (4500 RUB/day/group);
- All activities in Oymyakon area, i.e. ice fishing (3000 RUB/group), visits to horse breeders (5000 RUB/group) and reindeer herders (1500-3000 RUB/person), museum, ice sculpture cave, etc).
- Visa support (1500 RUB per one invite);
- Flights to Yakutsk.
- Airport-hotel and hotel-airport transfers in Yakutsk (1000 RUB/group);
- Car/cab rent in Yakutsk;
- Sightseeing and tours in Yakutsk.
BOOK TRAVEL TO OYMYAKON NOW ON THE FOLLOWING DATES:
- 14 – 19 January 2014 (2 seats available) – Book it now via PayPal (8120 RUB)
- 18 – 23 February 2014 (many seats) – Book it now via PayPal (8120 RUB)
In regards to other dates, send me the inquiry.
DISCLAIMER: Oymyakon travel photographs by Bolot Bochkarev. In the video: Bolot Bochkarev. Video credit: Björn Steinz/www.oka2.com.
- Yakutsk – Oymyakon – Magadan. The World’s Coldest Road Trip in Winter 2013-2014.
- Yakutsk – Oymyakon. Winter Travel to the World’s Coldest Inhabited Place
- Yakutsk – Oymyakon – Verkhoyansk. Siberian Triangle of the Coldest Places. Winter Overland Adventure Tour in Yakutia, Russia!
- Yakutsk – Oymyakon – Magadan. The World’s Coldest Road Trip in Winter 2012-2013.
- What is the standard tour to the Pole of Cold? Travel time, activities, accommodations, prices?