This is the photo report on the recent Yakutsk – Oymyakon – Magadan overland travel done by my partners, Slava & Mikhail Mestnikov. We work together in the tour operating company, Nord Stream LLC (VisitYakutia.com).
September 20 – 26, 2013, they did the road trip with Catalonians. One of them was Ignasi Calvo, a friend of mine, who is actually director of the Barcelona-based travel agency GR11 Viajes.
The late September is good time to travel along the M56 Kolyma highway (Road of Bones). Officially it’s the autumn month, but actually it looks more like mild winter. In the beginning, you might see gold-color trees. In the end, the surrrounding is utterly white.
This photo post might also serve as answers to questions, “Is it possible to meet brown bears on the Kolyma highway and what to do?”, “Are there any restaurants along the Road of Bones?”
Yes, you can see wild animals including foxes and bears.
No, there are no restaurants between Yakutsk and Magadan. You’d better forget about luxury for a while. There are ordinary Siberian road cafes on the part Yakutsk – Khandyga as well as in Ust Nera and Susuman. During the trip, lunch is done in the BBQ & camping style.
Enjoy photographs!.. Saying a lot of thanks to Mikhail Mestnikov and Ignasi Calvo for giving permissons to post them for you.
Now travellers’ time for quick lunch. With hot tea and soup prepared on the camp fire.
You might also wish to check my other posts about what wheather might be on the M56 Kolyma highway (Road of Bones) in the late September:
- Motorcycle adventure ride by Compass Expedition in 2009;
- MAD Expedition by a Scottish group of friends on Land Rover Rangers in 2011.
If you like this post, please, share it with your friends.
If you’re dreaming to embark the road trip on the M56 Kolyma highway, let me know.
Check also the coldest Kolyma road trip option for Winter 2013-2014.
Spanish & Catalonian travelers might arrange their big Road of Bones journeys through the Barcelona-based agency GR11 Viajes.
- Adventure motorcycle ride on the Road of Bones (Kolyma Highway) in Russia’s Siberia in the late September [info]
- The Road of Bones (Kolyma Highway) by the Scottish MAD Expedition. Magadan – Yakutsk in September, 2011
- Travel Guide Video: The Kolyma Highway (The Road of Bones). By Casey Handmer.
- First Snowfall on the Road of Bones (M56 Kolyma Hwy, Russia’s Siberia) or How It Looks in the middle of October [photos]
- Flashback: 2010 Motorcycle Adventure Season on the Road of Bones, Yakutia/Siberia